Vancouver WA – April 16, 2018 – HAPO Community Credit Union opened the doors on its new Vancouver, Washington full-service financial center on March 28, 2018. At 9,830 square feet, the HAPO branch will be the first credit union branch in the world to achieve a WELL certification from the International WELL Building Institute.
“We are proud to bring the healthiest credit union in the world to our Vancouver members, and we look forward to increasing health and wellness in every community we serve.” Said Steve Anderson, President and CEO of HAPO Community Credit Union.
HAPO Community Credit Union is embracing new sustainability, resilience, and wellness strategies to support the health and wellness of its members and employees, beginning with the projected WELL certification of the Vancouver, Washington branch. Notably, the Vancouver branch will serve as a prototype and testing center for future HAPO Community Credit Union locations, as the organization escalates its sustainability and wellness vision throughout its portfolio of properties.
HAPO Community Credit Union recognized the value of prioritizing the health and wellbeing of its employees and members, so its new facility in Vancouver, WA presented the ideal opportunity to bring wellness to life by pursuing WELL Building Standard certification. The Vancouver office is the 18th branch developed by HAPO Community Credit Union, and will be the first in the world to achieve WELL certification.
The WELL Building Standard is administered by the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI), a public benefit corporation whose mission is to improve human health and well-being through the built environment. A WELL certification is the leading tool for advancing health and well-being through buildings, and it requires that certifying projects adhere to a comprehensive research-backed series of requirements addressing air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort, and mind.
HAPO engaged Seattle-based green building consultant, Paladino and Company to conduct a full review of the branch prototype project and its WELL Building Standard potential. Paladino delivered a gap analysis to guide decisions about how to best optimize the location for wellness, back-checked by the WELL certification. Paladino is working in partnership with HAPO, Momentum, ARC Architects, and Sazan Group to manage the certification process and guide design decisions toward optimum outcomes.
“Pursuing a WELL Certification signals to the market that HAPO is committed to the performance and sustainability of its business, and to the health and prosperity of the communities they serve.” Said Tom Paladino, CEO and Founder of Paladino and Company.
Wellness features that employees and the members will find at the HAPO Community Credit Union Vancouver, Washington financial center include:
- Rigorous restrictions on VOC emissions for all building materials
- Ergonomic and flexible furniture to accommodate healthy posture and movement during work
- Additional filtration for cleaner air and water
- Lighting designed to support healthy circadian rhythms, improve visibility, and reduce glare
- Building operations to reduce toxins and maintain clean and sanitary conditions
- Employee policies to encourage physical fitness and health education
- Biophilic design features emphasizing the human-nature connection including: lighting fixtures simulating natural honeycomb forms; wall coverings mimicking the facetted faces of the local Columbia river gorge; and diffused daylight through wood lattice work.
- Abundant use of wood, which has proven qualities to human comfort, including the dramatic use of a cantilever that is useful, dramatic, and creates curiosity
- Celebration of place and spirit through the meaningful integration with the community is supported by a vision wall at the branch’s main entrance
- Meaningful integration of public art
The new HAPO Credit Union branch office is located at 13909 S.E. Mill Plain Blvd.
About HAPO Credit Union
HAPO Community Credit Union serves a diverse membership of over 150,000 members. Our primary focus is to offer products and services that continually bring value to their members, while providing convenience through innovative and relevant banking solutions. The Vancouver financial center is HAPO’s 18th location throughout Washington and Oregon State. HAPO is federally insured by NCUA.
Momentum helps organizations achieve their goals through high performing buildings. We offer integrated planning, design, and construction services to maximize project collaboration, and make the entire process easier for your team. Most buildings don’t provide the performance you should expect. We aim to change this. Momentum turns facilities into competitive advantages and superior experiences, with insights, answers and expertise.