Paladino and Company is seeking an emerging engineering professional to join our Commissioning Team. Our vision is a world where culture and ecology are in dynamic balance. Our commissioning team mission is the confident validation of high-performance buildings and the active systems that make them hum.
The Commissioning Engineer delivers building commissioning and energy audits on office, multi-family, industrial, and specialty buildings in conjunction with our consulting team. Our ideal candidate has solid knowledge of building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. This field expert is detail-focused, responsive, dependable, and has excellent task prioritization and self-management skills. The position has a strong internal peer group and a culture of collaboration to tackle emerging technologies and complex project delivery.
The growth opportunity of the role is leveraging your participation in high-performance buildings to deepen your subject matter mastery in predictive maintenance, decarbonization strategies, health and wellness features, and digital twin calibration. The Consultant is actively peer coached in gaining alignment of project performance to the design intent.
Learning and inspiration are the end goals for our culture. Key behaviors of the role are consistency and dependability. Whether leading their own projects or contributing to others’ projects, the Commissioning Engineer is highly aware of their priorities, the situation in the field, and the percent completion of their tasks and deliverables. You are accountable and know how to effectively communicate. You excel whether working independently or collaborating as a team. These key behaviors are the path to a growing foundation in building science and business leadership.
- Lead the commissioning and facility improvement process on diverse projects, new and existing
- Manage 10-15 projects that are in various stages of design, construction, and warranty periods
- Facilitate LEED construction kick-off activities, review MEP submittals, develop pre-functional checklists, perform functional tests, complete site reports, track closure of Cx issues
- Develop a Systems Manual, over-see training of O&M staff, compile a Final Cx Report, develop a Re-Cx plan, develop a CFR, prepare LEED and WELL Cx documentation
- Support a Senior Energy Auditor with ASHRAE Level I and II energy audits, identify and calculate energy savings, create a final energy audit report, and assist the owner with ECM selections
- Create on-time task assignments for support and senior commissioning engineers
- Support the business development team through idea generation and blog posts
- Assist in the identification and pursuit of new projects through proposals and pitches
Subject Matter Expertise
- Mastery of the LEED deliverable suite: Owner’s Project Requirements, Cx specifications, Commissioning Plans, DD and CD Commissioning Design Reviews
- LEED BD+C and LEED O+M Rating Systems
- Mechanical systems design and operation
- Energy auditing and utility analysis
- Sustainable property condition assessments
- Energy modeling a plus
- Well, Fitwell, Viral Response rating system experience a plus
Qualifications & Experience
- Must have U.S. employment authorization that does not require employer sponsorship.
- 3+ years commissioning experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
- Strong communication, collaboration, and technical writing skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- 30-50% daily local travel, quarterly national travel, and once annual international travel is expected
- Certification in Cx from ASHRAE, AEE, or BCA’s CCP
- LEED AP
- Experience or certification in building enclosure Cx
- Proficient with BlueBeam and CxAlloy Cx software
- Energy auditing or energy modeling experience
- Competitive compensation package
- Outstanding benefit offering that includes health insurance and retirement plan
- Professional development allowances
- A talented and fun team passionate about creating abundance
- Remote workplace based in metro DC (DMV) area
- A pathway to accreditation in one or more of the following: Professional Engineer, Certified Commissioning Professional, Certified Energy Auditor, and/or Certified Energy Manager