Ankrom Moisan Architects engaged Paladino and Company to provide LEED consulting services to support its client, Avalon Bay Communities, in achieving its first ever LEED rating for a planned 402 unit, double tower apartment complex to be located in downtown Bellevue, WA. The Owner’s goal was to establish a LEED strategy which would differentiate the building among competing residential rental properties, but that would also serve as a foray into LEED as its first project to be certified.
Paladino and Company’s key objectives in the effort were to:
- Generate an achievable LEED strategy to meet the Owner’s target of LEED Silver
- Coach and guide the team through their first LEED rated design and construction process by providing an end to end solution, from design concept consulting through commissioning
To that end, Paladino and Company’s project scope included:
- Development and delivery of eco charrette visioning session with the full ownership team in attendance
- Ongoing coaching and guidance to the team through regular team meetings and on demand consulting
- Assessing LEED performance at regular intervals throughout design and construction
- Performing technical analysis including site water balance study and energy modeling
- Contractor training, coaching and response to requests for information
- Fundamental commissioning per LEED requirements
Based on this effort, the project achieved LEED Silver through the following key sustainable design strategies incorporated:
- Daylighting of occupied areas to reduce the use of artificial lighting enhance the quality of spaces
- Vegetated roof and terraces spaces to provide occupiable open space and natural growth in an urban area
- High efficiency heat pumps in residential units for energy efficiency
- Low-toxic and low-emitting finishes and coatings used throughout for healthy interiors.